If you’re anything like me, you may have been hit hard with the January Blues. If you missed my post all about that not so fun subject, you can check it out here. I tell ya, even though this happens every year it still takes me some time to get my discombobulated thoughts back into check, and even more time to really feel the energy and motivation of the new year.
And I’m so thankful to report that the time for energy and motivation is right about now. February is around the corner which means Q1 is nearly 1/3rd of the way done, which is NUTS. I digress.
This past weekend I attended a retreat with Goddess Gatherings in New Brunswick. I’m not super into woo woo, and although this experience definitely veered on the side of major woo and involved some very delicious but not so filling vegan food…it was pretty fantastic (except the dancing LOL. I’m SO uncoordinated!). We worked through portions of Danielle Laporte’s Desire Map workbook, and I have three solid words that describe how I want to FEEL this year.
I’ll share these with you later this week, and until then I’d like to take a second to tell you what it means to be thinking about my days, weeks and months in terms of how I want to feel instead of what I want to achieve. It’s LIBERATING.
If I know how I want to feel, every time I make a choice or a decision in both life and work, I need to ask myself, “Is this action or decision going to make me feel X?” If the answer is no then it’s time to reconsider what I’m doing.
As someone who is fully a right sided brain, very calculated, very practical, and very science based, this is a new concept. I’m sure some of you can relate.
One major piece of clarity that came out of the weekend is that, although I’m an introvert, I actually really crave and require people around me to invigorate me.
In 2018 getting out of my house and surrounding myself with real live people is going to help me achieve some of the feelings I want to feel this year (Don’t worry I’ll share my three words with you soon – I’m working on creating a graphic to show them visually!).
I also crave accountability and structured learning. In 2017 this is something that I missed out on. Loneliness and isolation took over. In 2018 I will be investing in schooling of some sort, something more formal, to help me really dig deep into my work with all of you! More on this to come as well 🙂
I also realized that the MiniMind Accountability groups that I’ve been running….this offer that I’ve created for my freelance tribe…..is EXACTLY what I need for myself.
Oh the irony!
So I’ll be on the hunt for a networking and accountability situation here in Halifax that will fulfill some of what I’ve been craving.
Ok, so now it’s time for some action items (because I can’t get rid of the right side of my brain that easily, HA!
- How do you want to feel in the month of February? If you are having trouble figuring out the answer to this question, here are some prompts. Your answers should be one word feelings (ex satisfied, proud, respected, values, confident etc). And if you enjoy this process, I definitely recommend checking out The Desire Map! It was fantastic.
- How do you want to feel when you get dressed in the morning?
- How do you want to feel when you sell what you sell?
- How do you want to feel when you look at your bank account?
- How do you want to feel when speaking to a client?
- How do you want to feel when you think of the things you own?
- In the comments below, let me know 1-3 feelings that you want to feel this coming month!
- If you are looking for some additional accountability for the month of February and beyond, I have 3 spots remaining in my newest MiniMind Accountability Group that starts up next Tuesday, February 6th! This is a small group of 5 women freelancers who gets together biweekly to support each other, provide feedback, brainstorm freelance business strategy, and connect on both a personal and business level. We also have a Slack channel that we can use to support each other between calls! If you’d like to join us (it’s $250/month), your spot is yours for how ever long you want to stay! If this sounds like something you need right now, please respond to this email to let me know! First come first serve 🙂
That’s it for now friends! I hope you’re looking ahead into a Sparkly February, and giving the January Blue a swift kick in the pants.
Cheers for now!